Tuesday, January 6, 2009

my convo with the stylist...

Me: So, Aubrey...you know it's always good to tell the truth.
Aubrey: Yes, mommy.
Me: So, Aubrey...have you ever cut your hair?
Aubrey (eyes widening): What?
Me: Have you ever cut your hair?
Aubrey (eyes wider, slight hint of the n.... sound starting to slip from her mouth): Yes, mommy.
Me: Thank you so much for telling me the truth, Aubrey. I appreciate you telling me the truth. Now, why did you cut your hair?
Aubrey (smiling now knowing that mommy isn't totally mad): Because I wanted my hair to be shorter.
Me: You know that people go to school to learn how to cut hair, right? We pay people to do that, so the next time you want to get a haircut, just tell Mommy. We'll go somewhere, but you don't have to do it yourself.
Aubrey (lost in thought for several moments): But didn't it look AWESOME?
Me (unable to control my laughter at this moment): Well, it did look pretty good, I actually didn't even notice. However, it could've been really bad, so please don't do it again. How exactly did you cut it?
Aubrey: Well, I couldn't cut the back. I could only cut the sides. I didn't think you would find that hair under my bed.
Me: Mommy knows everything...you can't hide anything from me, so let's not try it again, ok?
Aubrey: Ok, mommy.

These moments are why my life is so awesome. Hair will grow back, and I know that I am raising a child who tells the truth, even when she thinks she might be in trouble. That feels good.

1 comment:

STACEY said...

This is too funny! Priceless!